01604 863189

Roade Hill, Ashton,


Until the school opened, children learnt to read and write either at Mrs Fearn’s lace school or at the grammar school at Courteenhall where parents paid 1 penny a day and the children walked to school across the fields.

Ashton School was built in 1854 by order of the Duke of Grafton. The builder was Thomas Tew from Stoke Bruerne. The total cost was £60 8s 3d (£60 41p). Eleven men worked on the building of the school of whom five were probably Ashton men.

Ashton School junior

At first a rental of 1 shilling (5p) a year was paid to the Duke. Later the school was made over to the village and was administered by the Rector and church wardens as trustees.

During the Second World War evacuee children from London attended Ashton school. In order to accommodate the extra children, the Village Hut was used for Infant pupils. The Hut, which is no longer standing, was located where there are now allotments next to the railway bridge in Hartwell Road.  In 1952 the school became a Church of England controlled school.

Ashton school old infants hutAshton School

The school was originally heated by solid-fuel stoves, which gave a great deal of trouble. In 1947 the school was closed for two days while electricity was installed, with mains water and sewers being connected six years later.  Oil stoves weren't installed until the 1970s!

The new Infants classroom, built opposite the main school, was occupied for the first time in January 1958 and it wasn't until a few years ago that the two separate buildings were connected, creating a large hall between them which is now a focal point for the school.

The Ashton School Parents Association was formed in October 1975 and has provided invaluable support allowing the school to enjoy a wealth of extra resources.


(Thank you to village historians David and Delia Farrand for their contributions.)